by YONA C. RIEL

Monday, November 23, 2009

Volkswagons, Bicycles and Taxis...

    My first occupation in this life was that of a volkswagon mechanic.  Remember the very first 'idiot' book that came out?  Well it taught me everything I needed to know about repairing most volkswagons.   Imagine my surprise in Oaxaca when every other car was an old volkswagon, usually chopped and painted like the one below.  This one was made shorter, into a two seater and I presume it was not originally a convertible.  I know it's a bit weird but all the volkswagons made me nostalgic for the 70's.  So, I took about 30 shots of the most interesting ones.  I won't bore you with all of them but indulge me with just a little browse....

  I found this one.. an art car... kinda like one of my bugs from the 70's.  I had 20 of them during the 10yr period between 1972 and 1982.  Okay enough about the bugs.





Here in Eugene we are proud of our homemade bicycles but i have never seen one like this here.

6 comments:

  1. sorry, the post is not perfect but i don't have enough braincells to edit it so that it acts right... hope u enjoy anyways..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this collection of bugs & bikes. especially the bicycle in the cemetery at Mitla. beautiful and sad. thanks yona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, welcome home! I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see some of your pics from the trip! Excellent transportation shots! See you manana chica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE the photos of the bugs! our first cars were bugs, and i remember reading the ancient manual out loud while my husband worked on the engine. i love the art car bug most of all--thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oaxaca is/was a very arty town... in an alternative art sort of way.. i totally loved the graffiti-ed bug.. thanks for reading..

    ReplyDelete