by YONA C. RIEL

Friday, May 28, 2010

Day twelve... San Fransisco with Joan and Teresa...

     On Monday, Pam and I drove south down to San Gregorio and Pescadero, two places she used to take me when I was having a bad day.  The first picture is of the cave we used to sit in on windy days so we could have a little camp fire down on the beach.  Every year the water makes it bigger and bigger so now you could have 8 people in there and still have room for a fire.
    Here's a shot I took enhanced with the toy camera on my Iphone.  It makes an already surreal landscape even more so..

     There were also several elaborate dwellings made from driftwood on the beach so I wandered over and took a picture of one...
    Then I found some amusing beach graffiti made with charcoal sketched onto the sandy colored rock.  I see art everywhere and I suppose this person does too...
    After San Gregorio we wanted to find the beach that looks like a moonscape.  It is just up the road 5 miles in Pescadero.   I have never seen anything like this place in all my travels...
     Here's another picture with a little wider view.  We both love this place and were so happy we got to visit it again.
     
    At 5pm we headed back north on HWY One and in Half Moon Bay, the home of Odwalla Corporate offices we found a homegrown funky little fish house to have some clam chowder in.  Pam had to get on the plane later that night so we went into the city and I got a cup of tea at my favorite place, Peet's coffee on market street.  After all these years the same woman was managing it.  She told me she had a kidney disease and needed to have the benefits and that Peet's was a good match for her.  She had just recently celebrated her 16th anniversary with them.   (Understandable to me, I worked more than 20 yrs for Odwalla).
     A little later that night I dropped Pam off at her sister's house in the mission then I went over to Potrero Hill, my home for seven years during the early 1990's.  I stayed with my old friend Joan and her new girlfriend Teresa.  We chatted until 11 that night and the next day Joan and I decided to take a long walk through the city.
    San Fransisco has long been a city close to my heart not only for it's complexities and micro-cultures but for the amazing amount of random art strewn upon walls, walkways and store windows.
    This first one is a store window that uses brown paper bags from Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Safeway to make an interesting backdrop for the life size cutout..
    We then walked Clarion Alley which has graffiti most of the way up... this first one had a mannequin's hands and face embedded into a substrate that I never did figure out what material had been used.....
     Then there was a mural with the message that we are all aliens.   The same mural was here the last time I walked this alley but I took another picture because the colors still make it stand out for me...
    The next mural has been around for many years now.  It is on Harrison street around where it intersects with 18th.  I just love how they incorporate the domes on the wall right into the mural...
     Then we walked up to Dolores Street Cafe, had some lunch and steeped our eyes in some delicious 'dyke eyecandy'.  Afterwards we headed up to the Castro to see if I could find the book that Page Hodel just published called "Monday Hearts for Madeline."
   Page, someone I met many years ago, started making these hearts for a woman she fell in love with that lived across the street from her in 2005 and 2006.  Less than a year after they met, Madelene died of ovarian cancer and this past Valentine's day Page published a book that has gorgeous photos of 100 different hearts she had made for Madelene over the years.  The photography is superb as are the hearts, made from an amazing variety of mostly everyday things, including food, plants, flowers, paint brushes and metal shavings.   I don't have permission to post any of these pictures but the book is available at Book Inc. on Market street next to Peet's.  She had an opening on May 26th for her show at Dolores St. Cafe.  The show featured several hearts from the book enlarged.   I haven't tried it but you may be able to get the book on Amazon. 
     At some point during my visit, Teresa and I, who have never met before except on Facebook, realized we both knew a woman named Mary Wings.  I hadn't seen Mary in 12 years so Teresa picked up Joan and I and we went for a visit to see the lovely Mary in her Boho style house in Precita park.    Here she is standing in front of her house...
         Doesn't look like much until you get inside and see how she has made a basement into a cool little place to live..
     Below is a picture of her wildly wonderful garden of which she insists still grows bulbs from my garden in Potrero Hill....
    Then I took a picture of a brown paper bag, graffiti-ed and encased behind glass of which Mary claims to have pilfered from a telephone pole in Paris.   Mary and I agreed this wasn't just some scrawled graffiti on a brown paper sack, this person knew what they were doing...
     One last picture.  This is Teresa chilling out in Mary's garden...
  Tomorrow I am going to try to drive from San Fransisco to Eugene.  After this many days on the road I am tired but I don't really want to go home quite yet.  So we will see what happens...  Again, I thank you for reading and comments are always welcomed..   yona c. riel


1 comment:

  1. Very precious Yona. Thank you for sharing your travels & encounters, they have been wonderful to look @ and read about. Have a safe journey home. Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete