by YONA C. RIEL

Friday, May 28, 2010

Day ten - Santa Maria to Colma via highway one...

     The hotel I stayed in last night was the loudest most obnoxious place ever!   It was in Santa Maria at "America's Best Value"... NOT!  If they changed it to America's Worst Value I might believe them but I will never stay there again.  (Sorry I needed to get that off my chest.)
     After going to the Starbucks to update my blog I got on highway 101 North.  It was one huge vineyard, sometimes even on both sides of the freeway.  Occasionally there would be a horse ranch or maybe even a cow farm for a mile, maybe two, but it quickly returned to tidy little rows of grapes, all tied like Jesus to little wire crosses.   At Pismo Beach I did make it back to the ocean where three dogs were tearing it up.  Ah the life of a dog....
     I walked further up the beach and found an interesting rock outcropping...
     Then I got into the truck and continued north where I saw the Mission San Miguel and the Veritable Vegetable truck.  (I used to driver that semi years ago so it was a nostalgic moment for me.)  The Mission was made of what looked like handmade adobe bricks and was established in 1797.
    The building reminded me of Oaxaca with all the peeling layers and textures and the huge clay bricks...
    Across the street there was an old adobe that had been turned into a museum and was supposed to be open..



 
     Around this supposed to be open museum was a garden of huge and blooming cacti and succulents...
    Here's another picture I took in the garden before taking off...
     I think California must be really broke because not one rest area was open.  And the hours posted on this building Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday were obviously invalid it being Friday and closed.  So I wandered back up to the freeway and resorted to a little drive-by shooting (aka guerilla tourism) when I saw this truck...
     Yes I am multitasking again.... (that's a good thing right?)...taking pictures while I driving..... (I know it's dangerous and please don't tell my therapist).  The only other curious site I had was that of the oil wells drilling like slow moving dinosaurs.  I've got to wonder about those miles of vineyards and how that oil is not leeching into the soil...
    I made it to my friends Jennifer and Bertina's house by 5pm.  Perfect timing for some dinner (vegetarian curry made special by Bertina) and a beer.  Then we headed out to see "Kick Ass", an R rated movie about an 8 yr old girl who is also a superhero.  It's rated R for the violence and the swearing.  Even for me (who claims the "F" word as my middle name) it was disconcerting to hear an 8 yr old say the "C" word and then blow a gangster away with a Tommy Machine Gun but I guess that is what happens in the comic book on which the movie was based.  This happens early in the movie, capitalizing on some serious shock value.  Still, I want to be Hit Girl for Halloween.
    Today I am going to head into San Fransisco and pick up my old friend Pam who is attending the International Ms Leather Competition.  We are going to head south via Highway One and stay in a hotel in Half Moon Bay or Princeton for the night.  Yona c. Riel

No comments:

Post a Comment