by YONA C. RIEL

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Journey to the Inside; day four... older work..

     Last night as I reviewed thousands of digital photographs it felt very much like going through a photo album with my Aunt Pauline back in April when I last visited her.  The big difference was instead of weddings, funerals and 90th birthday party photos there were dyke march photos from 2005,  Amsterdam photos from 2002 and random art shots taken all over the bay area.   I was plunged into the past.  Some photos brought up good memories, some not so much.  Once I get the pictures framed and photographed I will include them here.  Only my favorites,  promise.
    Today I am going back to the not too distant past (2003).  I was infatuated with Golden's new Quinacridone colors and abstraction.  The first piece was entered into the Mayor's art show in 2003.  I did not get in but when the Salon de Refuse' show was reviewed by the Eugene Weekly,  Molly Templeton did make mention of it. 
     There are five or six layers of collage work including strips of text from old books, tissue paper from sewing patterns, several washes of acrylic paint, and oil based pastels accentuating certain areas.  I wanted the piece to land somewhere in-between total abstraction and a hint of a story-line.  There are two figures, one large and centered with the letter 'B'.  The figure looks as though it may step upon a smaller figure appearing in the lower right hand corner.  The blue lines made to look like dressmaker's chalk served to connect the figures energetically and visually. 
    What I like about the piece is the texture made by the the patterned tissue paper, that whatever story line there is leaves a lot of room for interpretation and the way the print comes through in various areas.  I can dig deeper each time I look at this piece and extract a different story. 
    The next piece is also done during the same period (2003) and by the looks of it I am again smitten with Quinacridone Gold.   Judging by the look and content my guess is it is a practice piece that allowed me to experiment with the color pallet in the piece above.
     Instead of embedding the words under tissue paper I wrote a poem onto the piece in oil pastels after layering and texturing it with several washes of colors.   The poem is about 'Art' and says, "In the beginning there was Desire.  Once Desire discovered Movement the two fell in love giving birth to Color.  A cacophony ensued... and then there was Art".
    It is framed and is approximately 21" across and 25" long.   Thanks for reading.  Yona C. Riel

2 comments:

  1. I want to take a class from you!!! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. really?? how sweet that u commented!! these pieces are now hanging in the 'shaw-med' building on charnelton/broadway along with the ironing board i collaged... check it out when u get a chance...

    ReplyDelete